Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rushin Stout 08

I noticed the new vintage of Pink Elephant Rushin Imperious Stout at Regionals the other day and had to pick up a couple of bottles. I initially intended to sling them both in the cellar and try to forget about them. Then other night as I was sweltering (god I look forward to winter, that my chillies, eggplant and tomatoes are growing is about the only consolation) I had the perverse urge to drink a bottle.

Imperious Rushin Stout 2008

Opens with a pop and a hiss. Pours a viscous black with a tight tan head and an oily slickness. Aroma features smoky bacon, berry fruit a green hop note and roasty coffee. On the palate there is sweet malt, a saccharine slightly unfermented note, smoky savoury notes, a hint of ash , burnt currents all leading to a bitter hoppy finish.

3 comments:

Greig McGill said...

Descriptors sound a lot like last year. I've not been brave enough to crack another yet, expecting it to develop more over time. I'll grab a case as I always do. My cellar (well, cupboard) is getting very packed.

Paul Garrard said...

We've got the perfect weather for beers like this at the moment. Cockles of heart warming.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

I thought last years was pretty good. This years definitely has some attenuation issues, time should improve it.