Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rushin Stout 08

I noticed the new vintage of Pink Elephant Rushin Imperious Stout at Regionals the other day and had to pick up a couple of bottles. I initially intended to sling them both in the cellar and try to forget about them. Then other night as I was sweltering (god I look forward to winter, that my chillies, eggplant and tomatoes are growing is about the only consolation) I had the perverse urge to drink a bottle.

Imperious Rushin Stout 2008

Opens with a pop and a hiss. Pours a viscous black with a tight tan head and an oily slickness. Aroma features smoky bacon, berry fruit a green hop note and roasty coffee. On the palate there is sweet malt, a saccharine slightly unfermented note, smoky savoury notes, a hint of ash , burnt currents all leading to a bitter hoppy finish.

3 comments:

Greig McGill said...

Descriptors sound a lot like last year. I've not been brave enough to crack another yet, expecting it to develop more over time. I'll grab a case as I always do. My cellar (well, cupboard) is getting very packed.

Anonymous said...

We've got the perfect weather for beers like this at the moment. Cockles of heart warming.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

I thought last years was pretty good. This years definitely has some attenuation issues, time should improve it.