Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Beer from the North for the Boy from the North.

For the last 2 months I have been trying to rent the empty room in my house. Earlier this week Paul the Manc and Penny the dog moved in. To mark the arrival of this northern gentleman I decided I would hook into a few northern beers. As its hard to find beer from the capital of the north in this neck of the woods (I wouldn’t subject myself to Boddingtons) I selected a range of beers from around the north of England, no mention of sparklers, coal mines or football, honest…

Nick Stafford Hambleton Stud 4.6%abv
North Yorkshire

An interesting beer although not one I would want a session on. This tasted like it had been matured in wood although I’m sure it hadn’t been.

Pours a light yellow white wispy head. Aroma features preserved candifruit, hints of ripe stone fruit, a touch of woody oak. On the palate the woody note is pronounced with a light fruity whisky character. The mouth feel is decidedly light almost thin with a slightly hollow finish. This reminded me of a scotch on the rocks that’s been left till the ice has melted. Very interesting beer, , Id love to know where the oak/whisky character is coming from.

Black Sheep Ale 4.4%abv
North Yorkshire

A common sight in my recycling bin, one of the few decent beers sold by my local off license.

Pours a nice mid amber with a moderate white head. Aroma features tangy earthy hops with an almost tussock-like grassy note. On the palate there are hints of marmalade, and a rich yet dry English malt character that sits in tight balance with a firm bitterness. Dependable pint.

Thwaites Lancaster Bomber 4.4%abv
Lancashire

I enjoyed the mild, but I have tried this twice and it has never been up to much.

Pours deep amber with a fluffy white head. Aroma features fruity tangy hops, with a touch of stewed malt and an oxidative character. ON the palate there is sweet malt, more stewed malt and oxidised hop leading to a firm but slightly harsh bitterness. Past its best.

Jennings Sneck Lifter 5.1%abv
Cumbria

Original tasty ale that somewhat defies style, very nice.

Pours a dark amber with a fluffy beige head. Aroma features sharp fresh hops, with a hint of banana fruit. On the palate there is sweet rich roasty malt, banana and a firm bitter finish. Well constructed original beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nick Stafford Nightmare is a cracking pint, it's just down the road from me. Apparently Protz rated it at 4.5 out of 5