Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A parting gift

I came home tonight after the monthly Society Of Beer Advocates Wellington get together at the Malthouse ,where I had enjoyed some very nice beers and some lovly nibbles kindly provided by Colin Mallon the Manager, to find an amazing selection of beers laid out on my bed. My ex flatmate Dan had mentioned he had left something for me. I tend to turn those I live with onto the breadth and variety of beer and this I guess was his way of saying thanks, wow what a statement he made.

This is what I found there:

  • Youngs Special London Ale
  • Youngs St George
  • Youngs Old Nick (this one has been discontinued as they wont brew this in Bedford so it will go into my bottle collection unopened)
  • Wells and Youngs Chocolate Stout
  • Thomas Hardies Ale 2005
  • Brakspear Triple
  • Batemans XXXB
  • Timothy Taylors Landlord
  • Daleside Chocolate Stout
  • Westmalle Triple
  • Westmalle Dubbel
Some of my all time favorate beers are contained here (TT Landlord, Batemans XXXB, Tom Hardies) what a gift!

.

4 comments:

Stonch said...

I wasn't aware they were discontinuing Old Nick! That used to be one of my favourites. I remember finding it on cask one winter's evening in the One Tun on Goodge Street, Fitzrovia (since refurbed beyond all recognition). A joy.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

Oatmeal Stout has gone to, which I far prefered to the Chocolate Stout.

Anonymous said...

shame about the old nick, i really liked it, even if quite weak for a barley wine - though that did mean that 500mls of it was quite do-able.

brakspear triple is a great drop - have a friend in the UK who periodically sends me a bottle in the mail at his work's expense (big finance company, they can afford it).

same friend i used to share giant yorkshires and 3 pints with at the Jerusalem every friday lunchtime, actually.

Anonymous said...

That is sad about Old Nick! and Oatmeal Stout! And Kew Brew and the new special and the interiors of many a lovely pub in London!! Just leaves me with Ordinary from their once quite decent selection!