Saturday, August 2, 2008

Travels

Sarah and myself are off to the Taranaki next week to celebrate her birthday. We are going to stay at the Wassail Brauhaus, a beer bed and breakfast run by George Busby. George decided some years ago that he wanted to take his home brewing a step further but not deal with the hassles of full blown commercial brewing. As a result he has set up a fantastic home stay where you pay for your nights accommodation and the corny-cask conditioned ales that flow from his brewery are complimentary. I have bought a new camera after drunkenly dropping my last one (one of the reasons my blogging has slowed significantly recently) so I should be able to do a good piece on it when I get back.

4 comments:

Whorst said...

KHM-

This is off topic, as far as your post regarding "Travels", but I need to ask you a question: Do you, or any of brewing mates know anything about Safbrew S-33?? This is supposedly the EDME strain. I'm looking for an English dry strain that doesn't knock out any trace of hop flavor or aroma. S-04 is good, but it's not really suited to what I want to do. I want to make golden ales with English character. I can't imagine using S-04 for this style. Most people over here use 05, which is a great yeast.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

Whorst, I have no experience with s-33, I see the Fermentis website describes it as being suitable for wits and trappists which doesnt sound overly English.

My Golden Ale is pretty hoppy, 04 seems to work for me.

I'm disliking 05 more and more, I can taste what I disliked about it in my beers in other peoples now. Rather than the claimed neutral character I think it is very distinctive!

Whorst said...

That's a major typo regarding S-33. Everything I've read about it on the net claims it to be an English strain. No Belgian character at all. I'll try it and get back to you.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

I also see that Fermentis mention that s-04 is particularly suited to conical or cylindrical fermentation environments, which perhaps explains why it works particularly well in my set up.